“The Last Jewel”. Oil on canvas, sig. “Carl Spielter Bremen” 21.5 x 27.25in.
Carl Johann Spielter decides (German, 1851-1922) in 1875 to become a painter and settles in Munich. He began his painting training at the Royal Trade School with Ferdinand Barth and continued his studies at the Royal Academy of Arts with Gyula Benczúr, Otto Seitz and Gabriel von Max on April 24, 1876.
From 1881, Spielter continued to study at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna, where he became a master pupil of Hans Makart. He remained in Vienna for almost ten years. He made study trips to Italy, Turkey and Egypt. With his brother-in-law, the landscape painter Julius Köhnholz, he painted the parts of the new steamer “Saale” in Bremen in 1886 on behalf of the North German Lloyd. In Vienna, in 1889, he married his wife Veronica, born in Hungary. by Gavenda. In 1891 he went to Berlin for two years, and in 1893 he was back in Bremen.